Friday 31 January 2014

Chee-Chee Part 12 - Painting The base

My painting style is for the most part very tightly controlled and that can be both good and bad. You need to know when to relax and let the paint do it's thing. Painting a bases is often the time to do exactly that so I've been pushing paint around and having a lot of fun in the process.

I've been dirtying up Chee-Chee's base and to do that I've employed washes, glazes, dry brushing, stippling, splattering and sponging. It's all been very satisfying and I'm beginning to get a pleasing depth and richness to the textures by layering all these effects.



3 comments:

  1. I love base work. Sloppy = natural looking. It's very liberating! Great stuff as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im rapidly finding your blog the one I most look forward to having an update each day. Im loving each update on Chee chee and seeing how the scene evolves.

    I must admit I've spent sometime staring at the pictures on the blog and wishing you would do an in depth tutorial on your painting style. I know it would probably be a bit of a distraction from your usual painting routine, but it would be greatly appreciated if you went into a bit of detail over how you painted one panel or area of a model.

    keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed!
      I very much want to get back into posting some tutorials and step-by-step guides. The build up to Golden Demon 2013 interrupted my usual painting routines although it was worth the sacrifice. I've only really just gotten myself back into any sort of order as I'm getting up to speed for Salute!
      I've a few ideas for some tutorials based on my experiences with Chee-Chee and I'm only too happy to consider any requests or suggestions.

      Delete